Back surgery isn’t always required to get rid of back pain. According to Adogwa et al, less than 1% of 497,822 lumbar spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis patients required back surgery. (1) What do the other 99% require? Pain relief. An understanding of their condition. Gentle treatment. A solid treatment plan. Young Chiropractic has such a plan for Easley post-back-surgery, failed back surgery syndrome, continued back pain (choose your term!) patients that incorporates safe, doctor-delivered, patient-engaged chiropractic care via The Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management.
BACK PAIN RELIEF AFTER BACK SURGERY
Certain researchers in the medical profession want to abandon their term “failed back surgical syndrome” for “persistent spinal pain syndrome type 2.” For such patients with post-surgical pain after a laminectomy, discectomy, or fusion who sought chiropractic spinal manipulation for relief, numeric pain rating scale (0-10/worst-pain scale) scores dropped from 6.6 to 0.6 and Oswestry Disability Index (0 to 100/worst-pain scale) scores dropped from 43.8 to 2.4. At 12 months’ post chiropractic care (multi-modal chiropractic care with flexion-distraction amid the treatments), 48% maintained their improvement, 42% experienced a recurrence, 10% were not available for follow up. (2) A retrospective review of 32 cases of post-lumbar spine surgery pain patients documented numeric pain score changes from 6.4 to 2.3 (on a 10 point scale) for a 4.1 decrease in pain. No adverse events were reported for any of the postsurgical patients in this review with the mean number of treatments being 14. Chiropractic care included the delivery of Cox® flexion distraction. (3) A prospective study of 69 post-surgical continued pain patients who reported back pain following back surgery were treated by 15 chiropractors. All delivered care via protocols of the Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management. 50% or greater relief of pain at the end of active care was documented for 81% of the patients. The mean number of days of care was 49 days;treatments was 11. A 24-months’ follow up found that 56 patients were available. 78.6% of them had kept their pain relief greater than 50%. Mean pain relief at end of care was 71.6 and 70 at 2-years follow-up. 43% had not sought more care in 2 years. 32 patients had: 17 of them went through chiropractic manipulation, 8 had PT, exercise, injections, and medication; 5 went through further surgery. (Bottomline: Greater than 50% relief of back pain following back surgery was attained for 81% of patients in 11 visits over 49 days.) (4) Easley back pain sufferers who have already experienced back surgery may appreciate these outcomes for themselves! Young Chiropractic is prepared to help.
KNOWLEDGE OF BIOMECHANICAL CHANGES
To commit to a plan, all involved must understand what is going to happen to bring about pain relief. One study assessed the short-term effect of flexion distraction spinal manipulation on various spinal elements of patients who have lumbar degenerative disc disease (DDD). Intervertebral disc height was enlarged from 6.32 to 6.93. Back pain decreased from 69.17 to 48.48. Lumbar spine mobility improved as it changed from 17.37 to 12.69 (bent over with fingers reaching for the floor). Passive straight leg raise increased from 46.94 to 56.01. (5) These are desired and documented changes with gentle, safe Easley chiropractic care.
CONTACT Young Chiropractic
Listen to this PODCAST with Dr. David Atiyeh on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson as he describes the relief with The Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management for a patient who’d already had back surgery and still experienced back pain.
Make your Easley chiropractic appointment soon. Back surgery isn’t the only choice for many with back pain. And for those who have already undergone back surgery, the non-surgical approach with chiropractic may ultimately deliver the pain relief you desire.