Ankylosing spondylitis. Not a common back pain condition you hear about every day, but it is a condition that merits gentle, relieving treatment by an experienced chiropractor like your Easley chiropractor at Young Chiropractic. Chiropractic care for ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is helpful for many such patients, and Cox® Technic is a very gentle treatment approach Easley ankylosing spondylitis patients value.
WHAT IS ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease affecting most usually the spine and sacroiliac joints. Early treatment when AS is active may help maintain some flexibility in the spine and lessen any subsequent hyperkyphosis of the cervicothoracic spine and/or rigidity of the thoracolumbar, lumbosacral and sacroiliac spine that may develop and block doing favorite activities of daily living. There are primarily two forms: active and inactive. Active is the development phase of AS while inactive is the post-development phase of AS. Young Chiropractic manages both types with fellow healthcare colleagues to the advantage of the AS patient.
WHAT HELPS MANAGE ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Cooperation and coordination is helpful for patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Chiropractors, rheumatologists, primary care physicians, physical therapists, etc., are all important in the management of ankylosing spondylitis. The first step is identifying ankylosing spondylitis. Young Chiropractic knows the signs: back pain with more than 1 of three elements (HLA-B27 positivity, current inflammatory back pain, or x-ray/MRI evidence of sacroiliitis). 37% of ankylosing spondylitis is diagnosed by a rheumatologist while the other 63% is diagnosed by other practitioners like your Easley chiropractor. (1) Rheumatologists report on the benefits of a new approach to try: nanocurcumin. It is known that T-helper 17 cells are found at higher amounts in ankylosing spondylitis patients. Nanocurcumin is surfacing as a new approach to contain the T-helper 17 cells as it is an anti-inflammatory compound described as improving some clinical symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis. (2) Combining chiropractic manipulation and rehabilitation with care of a rheumatologist is beneficial for inactive ankylosing spondylitis patients in a recent study. Cox® flexion distraction was a chiropractic approach used to treat ankylosing spondylitis patients that helped. Patients also were instructed to do home stretches and rehab exercises. They gained some relief of the symptoms, decreased pain and improved ability to do activities of daily living. (3) Young Chiropractic offers gentle, stretching Easley chiropractic care with Cox® Technic spinal manipulation. Easley AS patients say it feels good to their stiff spines. And a little good goes a long way!
CONTACT Young Chiropractic
Listen to this PODCAST with Dr. Gabriel Monterrubio, a chiropractor practicing in Mexico, on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson as he explains his care and relieving success for several ankylosing spondylitis patients - including a diver who keeps diving today – using Cox® Technic and exercise in the treatment plan.
Schedule a Easley chiropractic appointment at Young Chiropractic for yourself or a loved one who has ankylosing spondylitis. Uncommon? Yes. Unmanageable? No. Young Chiropractic is here to help.